Traci
Traci, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Certified Veterinary Technician dealing with felines & canines, Veterinary Technician Instructor
1368825

lately my dog has been making a noise like he is ...

lately my dog has been making a noise like he is choking/snorting while just sitting on the ground or laying in the bed. He also did it the other day while he was eating. He is active and goes to daycare and walks regularly. i didnt know if I shoudl take him to the vet. thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Traci replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like what you are describing may be inverse sneezing. When it happens, the dog usually makes a loud honking noise on inhalation. Episodes can last anywhere from 30 seconds to over 2 mintues.      Here's a good description of it and some common ways to help get them over the episodes:

http://www.animalsdr.com/articles/info/reversesneeze.html

My beagle (and my dachshund for that matter) get worse in spring and summer and when there is humidity in the air.

Other things it could be is tracheitis - but usually the symptom is coughing and hacking.

Let me know if you need more information. I'll do whatever I can to help :)