Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 yrs small animal veterinarian
433937

our dog has razor burn from cutting his hair and it is ...

our dog has razor burn from cutting his hair and it is really bothering him. what should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 10 years ago.
If it is mild, you can get some Cortaid cream or spray and treat the razor burned area 2-3 times daily. This will help decrease the itchiness.

You should also rub in some Neosporin 2-3 times daily until the area is healed. This will help treat any bacterial infection that gets in the skin.

If is is severe and very itchy, it can turn into a hot spot, and that will require oral medications from the vet (antibiotics and steroids).

Try to discourage him from licking at it. Put an elizabethan collar on if necessary. YOu can get these at some pet supply stores or your vet.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vicky Lamb's Post: are these treatments ok for dog to lick?
are they safe?
we have been told to use "bag balm" before... is this also a good treatment?
which do you recommend?
Well, if you want the medications to work, you do not want your dog to lick them off! That is why an elizabethan collar is often necessary. They will not hurt him if he licks them, but they will do him no good. What I tell people to do is put the medicine on, then play with the dog or go for a 10-15 min walk, and that will take their mind off the newly applied medicine and allow it to soak in. If the topicals don't appeal to you, then you can always get oral medications from your vet that will do the same thing.

Bag balm is ok, but I prefer neosporin because it has antibiotics in it, which bag balm does not. Maybe in a very mild case of razor burn, but honestly I think Neosporin would be better.