Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years experience as small animal vet, 21 years experience in the animal care field

when do a shih zhu puppys testicles drop

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old shih tzu, when can I expect his testicles to drop?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet help replied 10 years ago.
In most dogs the testicles should be evident in the scrotum by about 2 months of age. In general, if they are not palpable by about 4 months, it's very doubtful that they will descend at all.
If you purchased this puppy for a pet, and not to breed or show, then this is not a big concern. The neuter surgery will be a bit different in that your vet will need to look for the testicles. Sometimes they are palpable beneath the skin within the inguinal ring (in the groin region). If they are in the ring, then a skin incision is made over each testicle and they are removed that way. If they haven't reached the inguinal ring, then your vet will need to go into the abdomen like he would with a spay, and look for them in there. Cryptorchid dogs (those with one or both testicles undescended) are at increased risk (depending on what you read it is 6- 10 times higher) for development of testicle tumors than dogs with descended testicles. This is because in cryptorchid dogs the testicles are exposed to higher temperatures.
If you purchased this dog for breeding or showing, then you need to speak with the breeder and have him/her refund you the difference between a pet quality pup and a show quality pup. Cryptorchidism is an automatic disqualification in the show ring. In addition, it is hereditary, so he should not be bred because he can pass the gene for the trait on to his offspring.
I hope the information was helpful.