Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years experience as small animal vet, 21 years experience in the animal care field
883989

My dog died with blood coming from her mouth and she was ...

Customer Question

My dog died with blood coming from her mouth and she was having seizures. What might be the cause?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet help replied 10 years ago.
I'm so sorry that you've lost your friend.
1. Toxin exposure- you can look around the house and any place she might have had access to outside to see if you can figure out if she might have gotten into something. All manner of cleaning chemicals, automotive fluids, pesticide products, etc. can result in poisoning and potentially seizures.
2. Metabolic disorder- a problem with liver, kidneys, blood glucose levels, heart disease, etc. could be the cause. If she wasn't quite herself in the days or weeks leading up to her death, a metabolic problem could be the culprit. They can manifest in many different ways including, but not limited to: XXXXX XXXXX or increased appetite, decreased or increased water intake, coughing, exercise intolerance, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, increased or decreased urination, potentially with blood in the urine.
3. Structural- a tumor or other lesion affecting the brain. These are uncommon in dogs but do occur and are more often seen in elderly animals
4. Idiopathic- which just means the exact cause is unknown. Seizures in this category usually start when the animal is between 3- 5 years of age.
The blood in her mouth could have been the result of her biting her tongue or the inside of her mouth during the seizure. Or it could have been evidence of some sort of internal bleeding- either due to something like rat poison, severe ulceration of the intestinal tract, a tumor, or something that led to bleeding within the lungs.
The only way to truly know for sure would be to have a necropsy (like an autopsy) performed. If you need this to give you peace of mind, then you can contact your vet about having one done if it's still possible.
I hope that you are able to embrace the joy and friendship that she provided you during her lifetime, and heal from the pain of her loss.