NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My old dog is making snorting noises when she breathes.

My old dog is making snorting noises when she breathes. what can be causing this?
This might be due to nasal infection, a foreign object in the nose such as a weed seed, a tooth abcess causing swelling in the nose area or drainage into the nasal passages, and of course blockage of the nasal area from a polyp or tumor are possibilities.
If this is new it might also be a sign she is starting with an upper respiratory infection such as kennel cough.
This is something that you should consider getting an in person vet exam to check her over.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy
thank you for answering so quick.
She does have a runny nose too. I thought that was pretty strange. She is a 12 year old cocker spaniel. She does have a lot of warts. Hopefully there are none in her nose.
For a cold, do I just keep her comfortable?
When I take her to the vets because I think there is something wrong she doesn't show the signs. Last year I took her because she was showing signs of hip problems and it cost me $500 for her to act just fine in the office then come home and drag her back end.
She seems happy, wagging her tail and wanting to go for a walk. Just a little more tired and the snorting noises. Sneezing too.
Check her teeth and see if any look tartar covered, broken, have red or bleeding gum areas.
If the nose has a discharge that is of big concern if its not a clear color. Green, yellow, or blood tinged are signs of infection or something causing nasal bleeding.
Thing is with senior dogs an upper respiratory they might have shaken off as a younger animal could go right into pneumonia.
I'd see the vet with her. Might be she needs antibiotics, dental work, a nasal flush to get a weed seed out etc.
The warts should be checked out too.
I'd see if the vet can see her today as you have a long weekend again if you are in the US and finding vet help on the weekend can be rough if she gets worse.
The problem in delaying care if its dental infection is that the bacteria from the mouth travels through the body and can hit heart, kidneys, or liver with bad results.
Puppies and senior dogs are both rather expensive to care for. If financing would make it easier you can check to see if that company will help.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy
I made an appointment for 3:00 this afternoon at Pudgie's vets. Of course she has stopped coughing now.
Her nasal discarge is clear and her teeth look fine. The phnemonia is very true and I do not want that to happen.
Thanks for your time.
I will write you back and let you know what they say.
I do think its a rule that being in a medical office is the one thing that can suddenly make all symptoms vanish until you get to the parking lot!
Good luck - better they say she is fine, or give you some antihistamines than that you worry all weekend!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy
I took Pudge to the vets. She of course did not make the noises when she was there. Every thing was good. No congestion, no murmers, ears were good, teeth were good, no temp. She even gave the vet a couple of kisses while she was listening to her heart and lungs. She assumes that its an allergy and like you said gave her some antihistamines. I am thankful for your help.
I can rest easy for the weekend.
She is kind of funny because she sneezes and we get a bath. Poor puppy!
Thanks for the update! I hope the antihistamines help and thanks for the accept!