NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Customer Question

what antibiotics can both dogs and humans take
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
For what condition and which antibiotics are you considering using?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: my dog was given it for serious hotspots which were infected, the reason i asked they question was because several weeks ago i had bronchitis/pnuemonia and was given an antibiotic with the same name i was just curious if it is the same antibiotic-my dogs was cheaper than mine
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Yes the same meds are used in animals and humans - when you think about it a lot are tested on animals first! Not all are safe for all animals though. It varies species to species for dose amount and frequency too.
And usually they tell you the vet ones are not considered OK for humans due to differences in quality control or something. And often they are cheaper than the human dose but that can be because the animals are lots smaller than the humans.
I know for my giant dog who is about the weight of a human adult the costs are closer to pharmacy costs than the stuff I get for my toy breed dogs are.
I can probably give you the info on it if you give me the med name.
Hope this helps you!