NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog has a lump on his foot. It is about the asize of a ...

Customer Question

My dog has a lump on his foot. It is about the asize of a marbel, and has come up over the last 3 days,. It does not bug him unless you apply pressure. Any ideas.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Is it between the toes?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: o. It is on the back side of his foot.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Here is a picture of anatomy of a dog can you say where the lump is?
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/dog/label/anatomy/labelanswers.shtml
How old is your dog?
What kind of dog is it?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: It is on his forefoot. He is a boxer and is about 5 1/2. I actually just came back from the vet. Another question. How much is an examine for something like this run. I was billed 100.00 which seemed excesive. They took a syringe full of cells and will let me know. I appreciate all of the assistance, and any more feedback would be appreciated.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
The bill sounds about right with a office visit and a biopsy being done.
I was trying to figure out if it was a typical derm cyst on the foot which are common in breeds like the boxer or an abcess, or a tumor.
That is what your vet is working on too.
If its an interdigital cyst its apt to be related to allergies or a thyroid problem though sometimes its a foreign body embedded causing irritation (foxtails, glass sliver etc).
This site has a picture of an inderdigital cyst that has ruptured
http://www.boxer-dog.org/chat/viewtopic.php?p=13883
Sometimes these respond to a change in food. Going to a food like California Natural, Innova Evo, Wellness fish, rabbit, duck, venison, or Blue Buffalo can help if that is the issue.
Its excellent your vet is doing the biopsy - that will give you the most info about the cells forming the lump and the best treatment plan options.