Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 yrs small animal veterinarian

My dog ate something, and it has cause a problem with using ...

My dog ate something, and it has cause a problem with using the bathroom. When we took him to the doctor, and they took xrays they found something stuck in his colon that is stoping from using the bathroom. The doctor said he would need a operation, and we would need about $1,500 to have it done. I was wondering if you could help find some other way to deal with this problem. My e-mail address [email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 10 years ago.
What did he eat or what do they suspect the object is?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vicky Lamb's Post: He could have ate a cloth rag
If the cloth rag has made it through the small intestines and into the colon, I doubt your dog needs surgery to get the rag out. I would suggest doing a couple of things....

First I would feed him 1-3 tablespoons (depending on how large your dog is) of mineral oil or Laxatone (a hairball remedy used in cats--is also a lubricant laxative,and available at most pet supply stores). I would repeat this in 4-6 hrs if there is no stool production.

You can also have your vet give him enemas that have lubricant mixed in. I use a 50:50 warm water/lubricant mixture, amount depends on the size of the dog. these can be repeated as needed.

That should help the rag pass out of the colon.

However, if the rag is in the SMALL intestine, that is a different story!!! If it is there, then I would suspect surgery may be the only thing to help your dog. Rags/cloths can very easily get lodged in the small intestine, and they can creat a lot of pain, and the animal will not be able to hold any food or water down. Surgery is often a necessity in these cases, and it can be life or death.