NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Can frontline make a dog sick and if so what should you do

Customer Question

my dog is acting sick after giving her frontline. it is sunday and i cannot take her to the vet until tomorrow. i am wondering if there is sometimes a problem with this product
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
If you just used it you can bathe her with a dog shampoo and rinse her well to see if that helps.
Make sure its a shampoo with no insecticides in it. Murphy's oil soap will do in a pinch if you need to use it to wash him.
If you think its the Frontline then washing it off is your best bet.
Usually Frontline at its worst just burns some fur off. But as all dogs are individuals your dog may be extra sensitive to it.
You can read about Frontline here
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I gave her the treatment on thursday. will washing her help even though it is now sunday
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Its supposed to be pretty water proof by now but you can see if it will help.
What are her symptoms - maybe its something else?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: She did not eat yesterday, but she ate a little today. she is normally very much into food. I even gave her bacon. she is very lethargic and does not want to get up. her nose is wet and she has gone to the bathroom, but it is as if it hurts her to walk. she seems unstable on her feet.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
If you applied the Frontline because she had some ticks you found on her then this could be related to a tick carried disease.
The symptoms sound like that.
You could try making sure she drinks by giving her some plain pedialyte and water in her mouth using a sports bottle to drip it in her mouth.
You didn't say how old she was. If she is a senior this could be due to heart or liver or kidney disease. I do think you should plan on seeing the vet in the morning with her if you cannot see one today.