NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dogs penis is swollen at the head and is not

My dog's penis is swollen at the head and is not retracting. It lloks painful as if it is swollen and stuck
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 10 years ago.

Was he breed-ed recently?

Walter

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: No he was not breeded. He is a 3 1/2 year old maltese and gets into these moods to try and mate with my poodle who is 3 yrs old but taller and bigger than him. He is neutered and she is spaded. My Maltese (Male) every now and then does try to "hump" my poodle on her leg or her back. Could this be it? Is it like "blue balls" or something?
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Hi Walt asked me to take a look at this as I have a lot of experience with breeding dogs and so have seen my share of male dog problems.
If the penis has been out in the air for more than an hour or so you should coat the surface with something to keep the tissue moist such as KY jelly.
The first thing to check is to see if by any chance the prepuce or sheath is rolled inside itself. Often with a hairy dog the hair sticks to the shaft and as the shaft retracts the sheath gets pulled and rolls up. This does two things it leaves the sheath not long enough to cover the penis and it constricts in a ring around it keeping it full of blood so it cannot retract more.
The easiest way to resolve this is moistening the area (in a pinch even water will do) and gently roll the sheath right side out again so it covers the entire penis length.
If you cannot do this the dog will need vet attention as if the shaft dries out the tissue is damaged and infection is very likely to result. The congested blood could also cause internal damage. So this is something you do need to take care of.
If his sheath looks OK and in normal position then you will need to get the area moist and see a vet ASAP to get him some help. He may need meds to reduce the erection.
KY jelly for moistening lasts longer than water will and is more soothing on the drying out tissue.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics