Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes

the area of skin around the dew claw is swollen my dog has ...

Customer Question

the area of skin around the dew claw is swollen my dog has been licking it constantly.... Do you think he might have gotten stung or bitten? Do you think the dew claw should be removed it doesn't seem loose? I have been trying benedryl does that sound okay? my vet said that but, wouldn't really give me any more info. I have no money right now for a doctor bill and just need temp. help until I can get the money... unless there is a at home method I can use... I have a penicillin shot I can give him would that help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 10 years ago.
If he were stung then the Benedryl should help. If it has been more than 24 hours or so then he probably has twisted it or caught it in or on something. If it is not loose, red or infected looking, etc. then he shouldn't need the penicillin. Try soaking it in an Epsom salt warm water solution a couple of times a day and see if that helps. It sounds like it is irritated for some reason- thus causing the licking- and the licking may be irritating it even more. So try the soaking and then maybe some antibiotic ointment and a light bandage. By light I mean do not wrap it too tight as you can cut off circulation very easily and do more damage than good.