Ask Annalisa Weigand-Dowdell Your Own Que...

Annalisa Weigand-Dowdell
Annalisa Weigand-Dowdell, foster parent, etc.
Experience:  I have shown dogs in AKC breed shows, obedience and agility since age 9, rescued over 50 dogs
1250874

My dog has a sprang leg or a broken leg we cant ...

Customer Question

My dog has a sprang leg or a broken leg we can't afford to take her to the vet how should i treat her????????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Annalisa Weigand-Dowdell replied 8 years ago.
I know what a financial pinch is- believe me, but there is no easy answer other than to take your dog to the vet. Think about how you would feel if you were laying out in your backyard with a broken leg, and no one was going to do anything for you? What happens if you don't get treatment for your dog is that you CAN GO TO JAIL FOR ANIMAL NEGLECT! It is true! By law, if you have a dog, you are considered to be legally responsible for the welfare of your dog. If your dog is injured and you don't seek proper treatment for her, you can go to jail or face a huge fine for animal cruelty. So, here is what you need to do. You need to call around to every vet clinic in your area if necessary, and explain your situation. I promise that you will find a vet that will help accomodate you. Vets are people who have devoted their entire lives to caring for animals in need, so they will likely give you reduced cost treatment, and/or offer a payment plan. There have been countless times when I have rescued a stray dog that my vet has given me up to 3 months even to pay off the bill. No vet would want to see an animal suffering, and they will help you. If you don't get a warm reception from the first place you call, keep calling around.

As a last resort, if no vet will help you (and I do mean as a last resort), you should take your dog to an animal shelter. Most reputable shelters will treat any medical problems that can be treated, providing your dog is otherwise adoptable (has a good temperament and no terminal diseases), and then after your dog is better, they will put your dog up for adoption. Do choose a reputable shelter, no-kill if possible. The worst case scenario is that if your dog's injury is too severe, the shelter may need to euthanize (put to sleep) your dog. This is very heartbreaking, but if the injury is that severe, it means that euthanasia is a quick, painless death, rather than long, slow suffering.

I am not trying to scare you. I am just preparing you for all eventualities. Most likely, something can be done to treat your dog. Please do call around to the vet clinics, and don't be too proud to explain your financial situation. I have done it myself a hundred times, and vets are understanding people. Remember that if you don't seek treatment, you are commiting the crime of animal neglect, which is even a felony in some cases, because YOU are responsible for your dog. In the end, if you can't afford treatment that your dog needs, then you shouldn't own a dog, not because you aren't a good person, but because you simply can't provide what your dog needs. Wouldn't it be better for your dog to be healthy and happy (even if it is with someone else) than suffering in terrible pain? Ultimately, what makes us good pet owners is our choice to do for our dog what we would want done for us, and you wouldn't want to be left with a broken leg if it was you.

Please call the vet clinics, and if they tell you they can't help, then ask them to refer you to someone who will. They are bound by their code of ethics to help an animal with an emergency, and I am confident they will offer help if you ask for it. Please help your dog, no matter what it takes!