Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

How do you tell if your dog has a toothache

My 8 yr old Lab has not been eating right all week. I watched her today when I fed her nd she seems to be in distress when she tries to chew. She takes a bite and then paces then goes back for another. I checked her mouth and don't see anything but this is so unlike her. She has never left a bowl full in her life.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.
Refusal to eat is one way that a dog will let you know that there is a problem in her mouth. Bad breath is another symptom of a tooth problem. I would go ahead and make an appointment with your vet for a dental exam as this will not get better on its own. For now, you can try wetting down her food with water and letting it get soft so its easier for her to eat. Good luck :)