Diane, Breeder
Experience:  22 years breeding and showing toy poodles

how does a dog take care of its puppies

Customer Question

what does an adult dog do to take care of its' young?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Diane replied 10 years ago.
When they are first born she is very protective of them. She keeps them warm and safe and feeds them as much as they want and as often as they want. She keeps them clean as well as their bed.
As they age, she teaches them to walk, play, where to potty. She will also leave them alone for longer periods of time.
By the time they are 5-6 weeks they are walking and trying to eat Mom's food as she starts to wean them.
By the time they are 8 weeks old they are ready to move on to their new homes, taking with them what Mom has taught them and a new personality of their very own.
Puppies are the most wonderful things to experience.
I hope that I have answered your question, if so please click the green button, if you need more info, click the Post Reply. Also please note that I'm not a Vet but a breeder of 22 years.