Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My dog has shortness of breath. Heaving breathing. Help!

My dog has shortness of breath, heavying breathing and a funny look in her eyes what could be the problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.
How old is your dog? What's the temp where you are?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is a 5year old long leg jack russell. And the temp here is about 65
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

It's too cool for you to worry about heat stroke but I would still be concerned.

I would be most worried that you are seeing symptoms of heart disease and would suggest that you see your vet tomorrow for an EKG and possibly an ultrasound if the exam proves this theory.

When the body is at rest, it taxes the heart every time that you wake up, partially because of the movements of the body and partially because of the extra respirations required. So, this could be why you are seeing these symptoms.

You might also see a cough, noise, or increased respirations when eating and when the dog is excited.

So, go ahead and see your vet again tomorrow and have him rule this out.

Aside from that, stress and pain can cause what you are seeing. So, do take this seriously.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

We had thunder storms here Thursday and Friday April 20th and 21st and she is very scared of storms. Matter of fact I have had to give her volumns since she was a puppy when it stormed. But she has never had symptoms like this after a storm nor did I give her a volumn the other day because she wasn't as bad as usual. So any response to that. Also could it be a bone stuck in her throat? Our neighbors throw out bones all the time and we are wondering if this is a sign of a bone splintered in her throat. If so is there any treatment I could do to help her?

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

If there's a bone stuck in her throat, you need to rush her to the vet. The only thing that can help that at home is to feed her some bread. But that only works in small cases.

If this is fear based (and it might be) you should talk with the vet about using an anti-anxiety medication or even benadryl to help calm her.