Michele McMurray
Michele McMurray, Rescue & Kennel Owner
Experience:  current work includes special needs puppies and Great Danes

Is it possible for a dog to catch thrush My baby had ...

Is it possible for a dog to catch thrush? My baby had thrush and the dog got his bottle,and was chewing on the nipple of it! When I give him treats,if they are solid,he whines,and hides the treats,or holds them in his mouth for a while then chews them. It is very strange behavior for him,ordinaroily he eats real well,and he still eats his soft dog food well..he is a three year old pek.. Thank you very much..Dianne...[email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Michele McMurray replied 10 years ago.
Yes, unfortunately dogs can and do get thrush. You will need to make an apointment with your vet so that he can prescribe the medication for treatment. If left untreated the thrush will eventually get so bad that your dog will be unable to eat without a great deal of pain so treatment should be started as soon as possible.

I am sending you a link that will explain the disease. While the link mostly refers to the disease in humans, the disease in dogs is the same bacteria.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.