Susie Chapman
Susie Chapman, Dog owner
Experience:  Have owned since I was a little girl
1093861

MY DOG BITES NOT TO HARM BUT WHEN SHE GETS EXCITED WHAT ...

Customer Question

MY DOG BITES NOT TO HARM BUT WHEN SHE GETS EXCITED WHAT SHOULD I DO.

SHE ALSO LIKES TO CHEW EVERYTHING IN SITE HOW DO I CORRECT THESE PROBLEMS
Category: Dog
Expert:  Susie Chapman replied 10 years ago.
I had a pug/terrier mixed puppy that started doing that and the vet told me that what the dog is doing is working its way up the ladder toward being the alpha male. He rocommended we get a crate and whenever the puppy started to bite, to put it in the crate until it calms down. It will soon associate the biting with being separated from the family.
About the chewing, make sure that you don't have anything on the floor or in a place the dog can reach if you don't want it to chew on it. Then get the dog lots of toys and bones to chew on that you can leave a couple in each room. When the dog starts to chew on something you don't want it to, introduce the toy or bone and redirect the dog to make the toy or bone exciting by playing with it with them for a minute. Don't scold the dog because he will not understand, but praise him highly when he begins to play with the toy or bone. They learn much more effectively with praise than scolding.

Good luck!