Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

How long should a dog be on antibiotics for a

How long should a dog be on antibiotics for a swollen prostate before he can be neutered?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 11 years ago.
Antibiotics should be prescribed for atleast 2 weeks (which is most common). Good luck...I hope your boy does well during his recovery :)
Experience: 20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
Expert:  Gina replied 11 years ago.

Hi Frbullover:

Did you have any other questions regarding this? If you found my answer helpful, please remember to click the green accept button so we can close out this question :)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: I really wanted to know from a vet
Expert:  Dr. Hanson replied 11 years ago.
It is difficult to get antibiotics into the prostate; therefore, antibiotic treatment for 4 to 6 weeks is necessary.

Canine bacterial prostatitis (swollen prostate) is treated with antibiotics based on a culture and how well the specific antibiotic can penetrate the dog's prostatic fluid. Enrofloxacin or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxizole are lipid-soluble and low protein-binding therefore they penetrate a dog's blood-prostate barrier. Treatment is 4 to 6 weeks of enrofloxacin or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxizole.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hanson's Post: So you are saying a dog should be on antibiotics for 4-6 weeks before the dog should be neutered? I thought not being neuter was part of the dog problem with the swollen prostate. If this is true, wouldn't neutering him sooner be better?
If your dog has prostatis (a swollen and inflamed prostate) due to a bacterial infection, then, yes he should receive a full course of antibiotics before being neutered because the bacteria are usually in other parts of a dog's body as well as in his prostate e.g. kidneys, bladder, and urethra.

Enlargement, inflammation, or swelling of a dog's prostate gland is caused by bacterial prostatitis (an infection), benign prostatic hyperplasia (common in older male dogs), an abscess, a cyst, or prostatic adenocarcinoma.   

Preoperative antibiotics are only required if your dog has a swollen (inflamed) prostate caused by an infection. This is a decision that your veterinarian has to make based on your dog's urinalysis.

An older male dog that is not neutered is more likely to develop an enlarged prostate due to benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). BPH is not an infection or a cancer. Since the dog's prostate is under the influence of testosterone then without testicles (after he is neutered) a male dog usually won't have problems with an enlarged prostate because his prostate will shrink. Neutering can help to prevent certain types of hernias and testicular and anal tumors in dogs. But neutering does not prevent prostatitis or prostate cancer but it will lessen the risk for developing these conditions.