michele
michele, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  15 year animal hospital experience, 20 year pet owner
966694

My dog cant seem to chew her food. And when she

My dog can't seem to chew her food. And when she does, she pukes it up within about 10 minutes. She also has diarrhea, but is happy, playing and drinks plenty of water. I am worried that she may have eaten something...this is a puppy that does not miss a meal and hasn't eaten in 24 hours. She is a 7 month old Boxer. She just ate some fat from dinner my mom is cooking, but will only eat soft food, but that seems to get puked up too. Her hard food gets spit out when she tries to eat it. I feel bad, she really wants to eat, but can't. She has pink gums, but don't seem to red. Her tongue also doesn't seem swollen. Her poop is like water, not even soft. please help. sorry it is easter. :(
Category: Dog
Expert:  michele replied 10 years ago.
How old is your dog?

Is she current on all vaccines?

How long is all of this going on for?

Is she spayed?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to michele's Post: 7 months.
Totally current.
A day and a half.
She did eat last night, but this morning all of it came up, not digested at all and diarrhea all over.
Expert:  michele replied 10 years ago.
It sounds like your dog has gastritis/enteritis.
This could be bacterial or viral in origin.
When a dog feels queasy, they are usually more apt to eat something that is more appealing to them instead of their dog food. That is probably why she was willing to take the fat from dinner but spits out her kibble. However, this could end up making her symptoms worse. Do not give her any junk food or grease. Do not feed her anything else tonight. Offer her small amounts of water every 2 hours or you can also offer her pedialyte. You can give her pepto bismol. The dose is 1ml per pound of body weight 2 times daily (every 12 hours) You will need to know how much she weighs and you would need to get an oral dosing syringe from the drugstore to measure it. Another medication which is commonly used in ddogs with these symptoms is Tagamet HB(200mg tablet) which you can buy over the counter in the pharmacy. It is not approved for use in dogs, but is used quite often. The dose is 3mg per pound of body weight 2 times per day. Once again you need to know how much your pet weighs in order to correctly dose her. I would start this tonight. If she has not vomited overnight, starting tomorrow, offer her some BOILED skinless/boneless chicken with boiled white rice but only a small amount. If she keeps it down, offer her another serving a couple of hours later. Continue her tagamet and pepto bismol as well. I understand that it is a holiay weekend and it is a very stressful time for a pet to get sick. Unfortunately, she will probably need to see the doctor for some antibiotics for her bowel.
Another possibility here is that she could have something in her stomach or intestine that she is unable to pass which could also cause these symptoms. For example if she ate part of a toy, or a sock. Once her stool firms up a bit, have it checked for parasites. If I can help you some other way, please ask