Michele McMurray
Michele McMurray, Rescue & Kennel Owner
Experience:  current work includes special needs puppies and Great Danes

Can I give my dog Melatonin to help him sleep and ...

Customer Question

Can I give my dog Melatonin to help him sleep and relax? He just had surgery on his ear, it itches real bad and is driving him nuts. Any otehr suggestions to help him relax and sleep.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Michele McMurray replied 10 years ago.
Using Melatonin for sleep is not normally prescribed but there are quite a few instances where Melatonin has been shown to be effective in facilitating sleep. The question that needs to be answered first in why is it necessary to give the dog something to make it sleep? My suggestion would be to consult your vet before giving any type of medication to your dog but I am also sending several links that will explain the use of Melatonin for dogs.

These three websites should be able to answer most of your questions concerning the use of Melatonin, with the third one having a great deal of information on it's pros and cons.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: Thank you. This has been good information.
I use Melatonin to help me sleep at night and there is no drowsiness when I wake.
I thought that it might help Bailey (my dog) rst and sleep so he would quit thinking about his ear itching. He is constantly shaking his head and has shook the bandage off. The bandage is supposed to stay until Monday. I will stick it out and tak ehim to the vet in the morning to have them look at it and make recommendations for making him more comfortable.
Thanks again.