Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

How would I tell if my dog has intestinal blockage from ...

How would I tell if my dog has intestinal blockage from something he ate?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 10 years ago.
You would see possible respiratory issues if the blockage was high enough or vomiting a tarry substance. You might also see the inability to produce a bowel movement, bloating, and lethargic behavior. If your dog has any of these signs and there could be a possible blockage then you need to have them seen as soon as possible. Your dog should be producing normal daily bowel movements.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl Kauffman's Post: He had diarrhea and vomiting early evening into today. His mood has improved and his appetite came back but no normal bowl movement of course he did not eat all day yesterday. No abdomen bloating or soreness and his playful mood is back. Being a Sunday evening would it be ok to wait until Monday for a bowl movement and if not take him to the vet. I am hoping a bone he ate just did not set with him.
PS I ask for more input as I already had the info you gave and was looking for a little more.

Yes I would start with the bland diet of cooked rice and/or boiled chicken or beef which is more tolerable to the stomach and will help with the vomiting and diarrhea as well. Cooked bones and other types can be dangerous as they can cause blockage or break and cause bleeding or problems with the GI tract. So since he did not eat and has had diarrhea then it may be he has no bowel movement to produce at this time. Make sure he gets fluids and even some Pedialyte to help stop dehydration and if he shows no improvement then it would be wise to have him seen by your veterinarian especially if he does not produce a bowel movement by tomorrow.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl Kauffman's Post: Thank you that puts my mind at ease.
You are so very welcome if you have no further questions please click accept/yes to close the post. And if I can of further help please let me know.