Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My dog is drooling a lot in her sleep what causes that it ...

Customer Question

My dog is drooling a lot in her sleep what causes that? it just started the last three days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.
Only in her sleep? Or at other times, too? How old?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: only in her sleep, she is three year old Bichon friese
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Dogs drool for a lot of reasons. It's usually because they feel nauseaus and they need to vomit, they have a mouth or tooth issue, or they are really excited.

When you see it during sleep, it's very often caused by the mouth or tooth problems mentioned above or it could be a product of his dream states. Much like people, dogs will dream of exciting things, even food in some cases because this is something that drives them. When this happens, their bodies respond as though they were awake.

I would definitely go ahead and see the vet with her for an oral exam to rule out a mouth or tooth problem and to discuss your concerns with your vet.

Then go from there.

Let me know if you still have questions or if you want to discuss this more.