Roger Bouvier
Roger Bouvier, Dog Breeder/Training/Show/Rescue
Experience:  Dog Owner/Breeder/Traning/Rescue 30 years exp.
840195

HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU KEEP BREEDING YOUR FEMALE DOG ...SHE ...

HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU KEEP BREEDING YOUR FEMALE DOG?...SHE IS KEPT VERY HEALTHY
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roger Bouvier replied 11 years ago.

I do not recommend breeding a female until at least her third heat or at least 1 and 1/2 year old. Prior to this age she is still a pup and may have difficulty with delivery and taking care of her pups.

From that point I would skip at least one heat between breedings or breed her every year to year and a half.

I do not breed my females beyond the age of six or seven since they are large breeds and have a life expectancy of 9 to 12 years. Smaller breeds who have longer life expectancies can breed to a slightly older age depending on their health.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Roger Bouvier's Post: I have heard that if kept healthy, dogs should keeping breeding steadily because their hormones are right for a healthy litter. And that constant breeding keeps the mother in "mommy- mode". Therefore a better mother...
My girl is a Beagle.

Sorry for begging for more of an answer...

I have never heard of that theory. Did a vet give you that advice?

A responsible breeder will give the female time for her body to recover from the previous litter. That would require her to skip at least one heat, if she comes into heat every six or seven months, and be bred not more than once per year.

I can only equate it to the human female mom. Would she want to be pregnant every nine months?

In the final analysis, I always consider the quality of life for my pets and even though I am a breeder. My dogs are my pets. They are not treated as livestock.

Good luck with your pooch and take good care of her!