NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

how safe is it to neuter an older dog

Customer Question

I have rescured an older (7-10 year old) male boston terrier dog. He dribbles after urinating. Will this problem get worse if I neuter him? Also, what are the implications of neutering a dog at this age?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
It may help the dribbling if he is neutered as often that is a prostate problem.
As long as he is healthy enough for anesthesia (and I suggest getting the presurgical blood workup done) neutering won't change much of anything for this dog except for the better!
I neuter older dogs all the time as I do rescue and I neuter my show dogs once they are past show/breeding age.
You might want to try a belly band for the dribbling to help keep the house clean
Lots of places sell them and I just put a human stick on incontinence pad on the band to make it easier to clean up.
Hope this helps you!