Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

what causes a dog to quiver or shake uncontrollably ...

what causes a dog to quiver or shake uncontrollably for extended periods, indoors and outside? he is a golden retriever mix and has a thick fur coat

Optional Information:
Age: 7; Male; Breed: golden retriever mix

Already Tried:

Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.
Is your dog sitting, standing or laying down while this is happening?

Is he cohearant during the episodes?

How long has this been going on for?

How long does it last?

Does the dog drool while this is happening?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: Bogus shakes all the time, laying down, sleeping, standing, sitting. This seems to have started 2 days ago, though he shakes once in a while anyway, especially when excited. This is the first time I got nervous about it because it hasn't really stopped. There is no drooling and he is completely fine otherwise. He is not normally a nervous dog, so I have ruled that out.He just worries me...maybe he is just cold?
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.
Dogs can shake for many reasons. Although it is possible that he is shaking from being cold (and the fact that it is not like convulsing is a good thing) I would consider the possiblility of hyper or hypo glycemia, or low blood sugar. I would give your vet a call regarding this as it seems to be a new thing that Bogus is doing, and have some blood tests ran. Dogs also shake as a sign of pain. This could also be from a neurological problem. No matter, it is not normal behavior and cause for some concern. Unfortunately an absolute diagnosis is not possible, but there are some possibilities for you to look into. I hope this is helpful, but if you have any more questions regarding this, please feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to try to help you further   :)