Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

does an ear infection in dogs cause coughing and maybe ...

Customer Question

does an ear infection in dogs cause coughing and maybe some gastroinstinal upset. My dog is eating.. I know he has a problem with his ear because he won't let me touch it to much, but now he coughs a little.. and has been vomiting phlegm.. not much but enough.. also he was licking the rug.........[email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

An ear infection can cause vomiting because of the inner ear and balance issues. But you usually won't see it cause a cough unless it comes with a respiratory illness. There are other causes for a cough, though, including a respiratory illness, kennel cough, or even a heart condition.

If the ear is so tender that you can't touch it, you really need to see the vet with him immediately. Ear infections can lead to bigger issues like vestibular disease and even a hematoma which takes surgery to repair.

Let me know if you need more help with this.