Brooke Knox
Brooke Knox, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  10+yrs,animal health care/sick & abandoned.Mostly dogs&cats. Perform exams/sick calls & vaccs daily.

My dog Dayzee has what looks like fever blisters, one ...

My dog Dayzee has what looks like fever blisters, one on upper lip and 1 on lower. For all I know she was bitten by something. Is this a common problem with dogs and can it be treated with antibiotics?

V. Williams

Optional Information:
Age: 5; Female; Breed: Mixed breed - possibly lab

Already Tried:
Just try to keep it clean.

Hello Mrs. Williams,

The bumps... how long have they been on your dogs lips? Do they appear to be filled with any fluid? Do you know if she gotten into anything before the blisters appeared? Can you describe, as best you can, the appearance of the lesions?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brooke Knox's Post: It has been about 2-3 weeks since I first noticed them. They started out looking like very small moles or pimples and before I knew it they were quite a bit larger and do appear to be filled with fluid. Recently they have kind of flattened out and are slightly scabbed over. In further description, the bottom one is quite a bit larger than the top one and about half the size of a dime in diameter. I guess they kind look like blisters but not with just a thin layer of skin on top.

Thanks for the Info.

Okay, I am suspecting Canine Acne... What could be happening is inflammation of the hair follicles or could be contributed to a bacterial infection in that area. This type of acne or papules sometimes drain or are fluid -filled lesions that occur on the chin and lips. At home treament, you can use benzoyl peroxide to clean the area..however ensure the dog doesn't get any in her mouth. If the case begins to get severe, then it may need to be treated with antibotics and have the vet do a skin biopsy.

Here are 2 other possible issues that maybe happening if you start to see a cauliflower appearance in the lesions.

Squamous Cell Carcinoma - this is a common, malignant type tumor. One of the forms of this is a cauliflower-type appearance to the ulcerations to the lips or nose. A biopsy can be use to test this as well and usually a surgical approach is used to remove this tumor.

Warts (Cutaneous Papilloma)- these typs of growths can be caused by a virus. They usually look like light colored lesions which may have a califlower appearence. They can show up on the lips, tounge, inside of mouth and eyelids. This warts some times resolve themselves...if they are severe, however, the vet can choose to remove them via surgery.

Your best bet would probably be to pay a visit to the vet when you get a chance. Though it is not an emergency, I would get her in to make sure there is nothing bacterial any kind of infection in the mouth.

Let me know if this helps at all. Or let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brooke Knox's Post: Is there a site I can visit to see pictures of each problem? I will be accepting you answer, I just didnt want to lose the contact.

Thank you so much for your help.

I couldn't find much...

I didn't have much luck with any photos but here is a good site on canine acne info...