How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christina A.T. Your Own Question
Christina A.T.
Christina A.T., Dog Holistic Healthcare
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 702
Experience:  Dog holistic healthcare! 30 yrs in healthcare, behavior, rescue, and socializing.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Christina A.T. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog swallowed a penny - she is a little over 10 lbs, a ...

This answer was rated:

My dog swallowed a penny - she is a little over 10 lbs, a 7month old puppy. She seemed to be okay. Should I be worried about it? What should I look for?

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: Cockapoo

Already Tried:
Nothing, she swallowed the penny, when I went to get it from the floor.

How long ago did she swallow it?
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: About an hour ago.
You need to make him vomit. Pennies can cause zinc toxicity. To make him vomit use Hydrogen Peroxide 3% 1 Tablespoon, up to 3 times at 10 minute intervals, until he vomits. Or you can use syrup of epicac. Please let me know how you make out.
Did you have a chance to read my last post to you?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I gave her one spoon and she throw up once - but no penny, should I continue? She throw up something that she ate last night, pieces of carrot. My kids thought she ate the penny now they are not sure. I hate to make her go through this for no reason, but is she swallowed the penny I guess it could be worse.
Yes straight. Just hold his head back and gently pour it down his tongue so that he does not choke.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: She throw up once, but no penny (carrots and some dog food). Should I try to make her throw up again? My kids are now not sure if she swallowed a penny or something else off the floor. (they dropped a bunch of change and they thought she ran and picked up a penny). I hate to put her through this if she didn't swallow the penny, she looks pretty miserably now and she was fine before I started the HP.
Yes you should just in case it was a penny. She will be fine. I know it makes them look miserable. But no where as miserable as zinc toxicity.
How are you making out?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: Wel, She threw up twice more, only bile, no penny. Is is safe to assume that she didn't swallow one? She is pretty sickly looking now though!
What you can do to try and make her feel better is feed her a little bread, chicXXXXX XXXXXed in water (no skin, no oil, no seasonings). I'm sorry the poor little girl had to go through that, but it was great that your family was right on top of what possibly could have been ingested. You did a great job getting quick results, many people have difficulty. She will feel better in a short time. Please let me know if you need further help.
Christina A.T. and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: Thanks for your help - she seems to like to put everything in her mouth now - as alot of puppies do and she keeps us on our toes. Walking her is a real challange, because she is low to the ground, I am constantly telling her no to stones, sticks, etc. This has been very helpful.
Good luck with her. And yes that's what puppies, kittens and children do...keep us on our toes.

Related Dog Questions