Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian

my dog thinks that a stuffed toy is her puppy and just sits ...

my dog thinks that a stuffed toy is her puppy and just sits and whines. what can we do?
Hi skyhook..

How old is she?

Did she just have a season within the last month or so?

Give me some help..I'll be here a while yet.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX, DVM's Post: she is almost 3 years old and has never had any puppies. she had her last cycle 2 or so months ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply..

She is a frustrated momma. So, she just went out and kidnapped a family, she thinks.

This is much more common that most folks realize. I suspect that she went thru a false pregnancy too. Some dogs will completely fool even wise owners, even to the point that the owners will make a nest and get ready for the big event.

They may swell up, lactate, nest, everything but deliver. Some adopt stuffed animals and carry on FOR A WHILE. It isn't permanment. Mother Nature will make her forget after a while.. Go along with it, and when she realizes how silly you are acting, she may give it up.

Now, the next thing is to consider having her spayed, unless you need puppies. (I didn't say want) These frustrated ladies have an increased tendency to develop a serious uterine infection, called pyometra, after a season.

A spay is something you can schedule at your convenience, sometime between her normal seasons. A pyometra is something you always do at no one's convenience about 4 to 6 weeks after a season, with a significant financial inconvenience and risk for her life.

Bright side is no more seasons, and a reduced likelihood of mammary cancer later.

Didn't mean to make this sound like a sales pitch.
Hope the other info eases your mind, and you consider the 'pitch'.