Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

How long does a penicillin shot for dogs last in their

How long does a penicillin shot for dogs last in their system? My dog was hit by a car, and he was hit in the head pretty hard. He had a bloody nose and mouth and red eyes. I took him to the vet and the vet just looked him over and gave him a penicillin shot plus his rabies shots. I was wondering what the penicillin was for and how long it will treat him? I took him to the vet yesterday morning, and lastnight he seemed to be having a runny nose. Clear fluid was dripping from both nostrils. Is this a sign he has a cold? Or is is from getting hit in the head by the car the day before yesterday? If his nose continues to run should he be put on medication?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 10 years ago.
Most likely he put him on the penicillin to fight any infection that might result from being hit by the car and due to the injuries that he had as a safety precaution. It usually works in the system for 48-72 hours before leaving the bloodstream. If his runny nose is a clear discharge then that is not a sign of infection and could be a result of the injury as well or he could have a slight bacterial infection which the penicillin should help as well. If the discharge from the nose turns a green or yellow color that would be a sign that he needs to be put on antibiotics as this is a sign of infection. I see you have other questions that have not been accepted yet so you may want to look at those questions and accept them as well if they were helpful to you so it will help your ratings here on justanswer.