NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My Cocker Spaniel has really bad gas, what can I do to get rid of it

I received my 1 yr 2 mo old Cocker Spaniel when he was 6 months old and has had gas problems since, I have tried every food out there and it doesn't help any.. most of the foods he will not eat. It's bad enough to have to deal with the excitment urination, but he clears a room with his gas. Having company over is just a nightmare!

Optional Information:
Age: 1; Male; Breed: Cocker Spaniel

Already Tried:
Changing food, different vitamins

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
As there are a lot of foods you might have changed foods but kept similar ingredients causing the problem. Ingredients like soy, corn, wheat, egg, beef can all cause gastric digetion problems in dogs.
You might find a minimal ingredients food such as California Natural, or an alternative ingredients food like Wellness fish, rabbit, venison, or duck would solve the problem.
If he has not had his stool checked for intestinal parasites - including worms, coccidia or giardia - that might be a part of the problem too. Bring the vet a fresh stool sample to check for them.
Its no good changing foods if you keep feeding table food or dog biscuits as they can also trigger the problem.
There are products similar to the human Beano such as Cur Tail which might help.
You might find taking him on longer walks will help too - as motion can help abdominal tone.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I have tried Purina, pedigree, beneful (that caused skin problems), wellness, IAMS... umm.. I can't even remember all the food I have tried.. they either A) did not work.. or B) he would not eat. Only food I have found he will eat is Solid Gold or Merrick. He has had a stool sample taken and tested back a couple of months ago.. he was having the gas then and still now, so was clean then and goes back to the vet the end of this month for a retest I believe. I just ordered something called N'Zymes, Antioxidants, have you heard of it? Cur Tail? Can you buy it in stores? He goes to work with me everyday, as I work at a dog motel so he spends his days (at least 8/day) outside running and playing and yet still has gas, also off and on some diarreah.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
If you look at the foods you have tried such as Purina you will see a ton of grains and preservatives.
Cur Tail should be available in pet supply stores or online catalogs.
Nzymes might work or might not but is certainly worth trying.
Solid gold has barley and millet and amaranth which could all cause gas.
You can compare foods here
www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz
and more here
www.doberdogs.com
Your dog may not do well with grains at all or be allergic to chicken etc.
You might find the Wellness fish or rabbit food etc will work. It has no grains and that might do the trick.
You can read here about inflammatory bowel which often is triggered by allergies to foods
www.marvistavet.com/html/inflammatory_bowel_disease.html

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Dash (my cocker spaniel) is a real finicky eater. I tried wellness, he sniffed it and walked away, it had to sit there for a day and a half before he'd even touch it. Unlike most dogs, he doesn't get excited about food or treats, treats he takes and hides until I find them or he decides he might eat it. Food, mostly the cat gets to before him. He just never seems to want to eat. Merrick and solid gold are the only two he shows any interest in. I guess I will give the Nzymes a try and maybe look for the cur tail. I fear, just as I have to just live with the excitment urination, I will just have to live with his gas. Is there something in the food that causes gas, that I should stay away from? Or does it differ for each dog?
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Wellness has several formulas and the trick with new foods incase you try one is to mix it slowly into the old food kibble by kibble or spoonful by spoonful until they think its their regular food.
Usually its the grains and soy that cause the gas. It ferments. Dogs don't digest grains well they are really designed with a short gut to digest meat products. You could try a home cooked diet. I'd not advise raw with a dog that already has gut issues.
You might also find doing serious training work with him using positive reinforcement (squeakies and balls or playtime works as well as food) as I've found some dogs with urination issues and bowels that bother them do much better if fully confident that their human is the leader.
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics