Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Sometimes my dogs head will feel very hot to the ...

Customer Question

Sometimes my dog's head will feel very hot to the touch. She is not ill in any other way. I have another dog that has epilepsy and his head never gets hot like this. However, I belong to a group online of people with epileptic dogs and some of these people experience this hot head in their epi-dogs and they all assume that it is related to epilepsy. I don't believe it is, and I would really like to find out if any vets know or have ideas what causes this. I've read of a lot of dogs (both epileptic and not) that have this happen with no other illness, symptoms or problems at that time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

You really can't tell much by the way that the head feels because a lot of the temperature is dependent upon the warmth of your hands, the temperature in the room and other factors.

I would not equate this with symptoms of epilepsy unless you are seeing symptoms of the disease, aside from warmth.

If you are worried about temperature, I would suggest that you pick up a baby's ear thermometer. You can use this safely and quickly (less than a few seconds) and it gives you a fast reading.

Let me know if you still have questions.