Christina A.T.
Christina A.T., Dog Holistic Healthcare
Experience:  Dog holistic healthcare! 30 yrs in healthcare, behavior, rescue, and socializing.
516285

my dog keeps licking his penis for a very long time.

my dog keeps licking his penis for a very long time. he also has recently started to pee indoors when he has never done so in the past.
Is he still eating, drinking, urinating and moving his bowels? How old is he? Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: yes. all very well. he is a 4 year old neutered cocker. he has always been very well house trained. sometimes i feel like he's doing it for attention. is that possible?
There are a variety of reasons this will happen in a male dog. It can be anything from a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, kidney or prostate problems. You will want to take him to the vet to have a urinalysis and urine culture done to identify it is a urinary tract infection. The vet can also take an X-ray to help evaluate your dogs prostate and check to see if he has bladder stones. If everything above is normal they will then assess his kidneys, bladder and prostate gland for tumors.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.
~Christina
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: Christina thank you very much for the reply. We did take him to the vet and they tested for all of those things. The only thing that looked strange to them was a high level of something and gave him some medicine. But it is still continuing.

We'll take him back to the vet, but one more question: is there any way this can be behavioral?

Thanks again. You were very thorough!!!

Yes it can be behavioral. Most dogs will lick their feet compulsively though. The vet can give him something like Composure Liquid which is all natural and might make him more relaxed about the behavior. Usually you only need to use a medication temporarily until the pet gets out of the habit of the behavior.