Christina A.T.
Christina A.T., Dog Holistic Healthcare
Experience:  Dog holistic healthcare! 30 yrs in healthcare, behavior, rescue, and socializing.
516285

Can I give my dying dog part of my vicodin so she ...

Customer Question

Can I give my dying dog part of my vicodin so she won't be in pain?

Optional Information:
Age: >12; Female; Breed: jack russel terrier/pug mix

Already Tried:
baby asaprin

Category: Dog
Expert:  Christina A.T. replied 8 years ago.
Hi I'm sorry to hear that your dog is dying and in pain. What is going on with your dog right now? Does she have a terminal illness?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: i don't think so. i just think it's old age.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is 15 years old, deaf, can hardly see and has a lot of pain.
If you give her any vicodin, it will most likely kill her and not in a pleasant way. Do you think that she is ready to pass away? Where is her pain?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was only thinking of giving her maybe 1/4 of it. Her pain is all over and from what I can tell by looking at her I would say on a scale from 1-10, it would be a 10+
The thing is, most human medications are toxic to dogs. What will happen is it will appear to help your dog, but may end up causing liver or kidney failure or possibly bleeding to death internally.

If your dog is having such severe pain and it is obviously breaking your heart to see your friend this way, have you considered having her put to sleep?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is basically on her deathbed and her vet is 20 miles from where we live and I have no way of getting her there plus I want her to be at home like her biological niece was when she died.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Isn't putting animals to sleep painful. That's what I heard.
Call the vet and see if he can prescribe something you can pick up from your local drugstore? And ask him how he feels abou the Vicodin. I just know from experience that toxic poisoning can be far more painful for the dog to go through than the natural pain of dying and also far more painful for the owner who loves the dog to watch.

Do you have a mobile vet? Or maybe even your vet will come to your home and help. This is what I do, I have my pets euthanized in my home. How much aspirin did you give her? Has she drank any water today?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: the vet said no more than 100mg...aspirin didn't work. no mobile vet. vet can't come to my home because he is the only vet there and yes she has had some water today
I don't want to suggest that you give vicodin, I would had to see your dog go into a seizure and have more pain than she is already experiencing. I suggest while it is still early in the day that you either call your vet and ask if he thinks it would be okay to give her some. He may feel that it is perfectly fine, because he is familiar with your dog and her health condition. But it would not be right of me to say that it is fine, that would be unfair to you and your dog for me to give such advice without knowing your dog.

I'm sorry she is suffering. You may have to weigh out whether it is worth it to let her die at home in pain or if it would be better to find a way to get to the vet.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: I just need a simple yes or no. Don't you have drug information books for animals like my mother (nurse) and I (pharmacy tech) have for people?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: If i didn't think my baby was ready to pass would i be asking about giving her pain meds so she doesn't hurt? She is very old and in a lot of pain.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: Not all meds are toxic to dogs cuz her vet said to give her aspirin
I do not have a drug book. I realize that you are really upset now and I do not blame you one bit. This is a horrible experience that you and your dog are going through.

***You cannot give your dog the vicodin pill.***

To ease her pain you can give her buffered aspirin, 1 tablet per 60 Lbs. of weight, 2 times per day. You can also try putting a heating pad wrapped in a towel on low heat, wherever she seems to hurt most. You can give her chicken broth to keep her hydrated. Dehydration is very painful. I'm very sorry that I cannot do more. You should really call your vet to see if he can prescribe something.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What can I do for her?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Christina A.T.'s Post: This doesn't help at all. I'll figure it out on my own. THANX FOR NOTHIN!!!