NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Is there a natural way to deworm your dog

Customer Question

my dog has begun to pay particular attention to his annus. I was wondering if it could be worms? Since he is 10 months old and has had hook worms in the past.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
It might be that he has blocked up anal glands. You can read about these here
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
A vet or groomer can express the glands for you if you don't want to try it yourself.
If you are concerned about worms you can bring a fresh stool sample to the vet for them to check for worms for you. Hook or round worms can be safely treated with over the counter medications containing pyrantel pamoate as the active ingredient including brands like Nemex and Evict.
If he is chewing in the tail and anal area it could also be fleas. Frontline is one good way to get rid of those.
Hope this helps you!