NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How can I put my dog to sleep at home She is 14 years old ...

Customer Question

How can I put my dog to sleep at home? She is 14 years old and peeing all over the house and getting sick when she drinks or eats. She is in pain. I can't get her to a vet and can't afford to go to a vet. Plus she weighs over 150 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
There really is no safe or humane way to do this medically without vet help and trying to may be illegal depending on the laws where you live.
If you do euthanize her or if she passes at home you will still need to move her body.
There are mobile vet services who will come to a home to do this and sometimes your vet will too if you've had a good relationship with the vet.
Local animal shelters might also offer help with this.
The biggest item is going to be the disposition of the body as that is the most expensive part of euthnasia.
You could if you live in the country and know someone who is a good shot and willing to do this euthanize her with a bullet. Even that isn't allowed in some places. might help you finance the vet care.
These sites might have a group that would help too
Hope this helps you!