NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

how many puppies does a blue heeler dam average

Customer Question

I have a 2 1/2 year old blue heeler dam and she is getting ready to have her first litter of puppies. I cannot tell for sure how many puppies are there. I was told that a blue heeler usually has 9 puppies per litter. She is bred by a blue heeler as well.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Its the dam that controls the number of pups based on number of eggs released and space in the uterus for implantation of the fetus.
How big a litter did she come from? that is a key to how many she might have as the numbers often are hereditary.
If she is over 51 days along you can have the vet x-ray to tell you how many to expect.
5-7 is a normal sized litter for that size dog but if she comes from a line where 9 or more is the norm then she might have that many.
If she has a big litter I would suggest adding goats milk (fresh, canned or dry) to her diet one the pups are born to help her give plenty of milk to raise that big a number of pups.
Hope this helps you!