Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

is my dog sick if she suddenly is not active or hyper at ...

is my dog sick if she suddenly is not active or hyper at all even tho she was yesterday?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Vomiting? Diarrhea? Lethargy?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: no she just is not eating .. and she is in bed all day
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.

If you have not seen the vet recently for a fecal exam, this would be a good time to do so. The most common cause of lethargy and inappetance in dogs is an undiagnosed parasite, giardia or coccidia.

I would see the vet tomorrow for a fecal exam to rule this out and then go from there.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: yes, but they did not find anything. i dont want them giving me some type of medicine just because they arnt sure what is really wrong..
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Your vet will not treat her unnecessarily. That's unethical. They will treat her if they find a problem and it does sound like she has. I wish that I could do more for you over the internet but I just can't. Since our pets can't talk, we have to listen to their signals and hers are telling you that something is wrong.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the last time my other dog was feeling like this, i went to the vet and they gave me medicine i did not even have to give her. shewas better in a couple days and ate again. but the thing is, i do not want to risk it and just let this dog sit around and get better on her own. so i really dont know what to do
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.

It's pretty hard to say what's going on when the only symptom is lethargy.

If she was mine, I would switch her over to a bland diet of only boiled chicken and white rice. This will help if it's a stomach problem. If not, it will still get some food into her.

Then I would re-evaluate the symptoms tomorrow and go from there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes all day today she did not eat. she does not seem to like any dog foods.. but she raised her ears when she smelled the broiled pork in the kitchen and she ate a couple of pieces. she seems to want to lay on my lap all day.. but if she is eating a little bit does that mean anything? also, she plays in the cold a lot, could dogs ( she turned 1) catch a cold?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Dogs can't catch human colds but they can catch dog flus and colds that are specific to their species. If she will eat the pork, she will probably eat some boiled chicken. Go ahead and make some chicken and rice for her and see if she will eat it. If she doesn't eat, she will get hypoglycemica and this can make her feel worse.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
juss plain broiled chicken ? no salt or anything correct? this is my last question thanks for all your help
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.

You are very welcome!

Just plain boiled chicken and white rice. No spices, no onions no garlic. This will soothe the stomach and get some nutrition into her.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert