Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
263661

what should i do if my dog bites my child

Customer Question

my dog who i adore bit my daughter in the face and it required 8 stitches. what should i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joni replied 10 years ago.
Was it provoked? How old is the dog? What breed?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: my dog is very posessive of me. he has bitten on 4 other occassions just not this horrible.
Expert:  Joni replied 10 years ago.
Five dog bites and getting worse is not good. I know you love your dog but certainly you love your child as well. This had to be very traumatic for the child. It is just a matter of time before it is very serious and it could be a neighbors child and a lawsuit will be headed your way. I can only tell you what the 3 vets I have worked for have stated to many people. It is unfortunate but it is time to have your dog euthanized before something drastic happens that cannot be undone. Owners then want to know our opinion of putting the dog up for adoption. The only way that you can do this with a clear conscious is to tell the truth and no one with a child is going to adopt this dog. That leaves it to go to someone as a guard type dog and you have no idea if it will be abused, etc. Therefore, your best bet for you and the dog is euthanasia. You could try something like Prozac or mood drugs from the vet first if you feel you must try something. Good luck, as I know this is not what you were wanting to hear and I do feel for you in having to make a decision like this.