NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Dog has bumps on outside of vulva.

My dog has 2 small bumps on the outside of her vulva. There were 3, but one went away. They are the same color as her skin is and they seem to be itchy, but don't ever bleed or give off any discharge. She was bred 42 days ago, and I am wondering if this is a STD of some sort. She does not have any other signs of diease; she has plenty of energy, good appetite, normal bowel movements and no odor or discharge coming from her. All she does is itch. My other female, who was also bred to the same stud a few weeks later also itches her vulva a lot, but she doesn't have any bumps, just irriated skin around the base of the vulva but not on the vulva directly. Could these be related? What could they be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Yes this could be something transmitted and it might be for example a herpes virus infection.
You should have both dogs examined by your vet and I'd suggest the stud owner have his or her dog checked also.
This could be a yeast infection also as that makes the dogs very itchy around the vulva - and again the male particularly if he is not kept clean can pass this along.
Hope this helps you!