Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

my dog is walking around with his tail between his legs and

Customer Question

My dog is walking around with his tail between his legs and his head down lately. This is common behavior for him in a storm but it hasn't stormed in days what could be wrong with him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.
You know that something is wrong. Now you just have to figure out the source of the pain.

Since she is holding her tail down, she could have overly full anal glands that are causing pain around the tail. Dogs have two glands that are located at 10 and 2 (like a clock) beneath the tail. These glands normally secrete a smelly substance every time the dog poops. Sometimes, these glands get overly full or infected. If this is the case, the vet can express the glands and give the dog some relief.

Until you take care of this, he might lick alot and he might even drag his bottom on the ground.

No matter what, you need to see the vet with him so that you can get to the bottom of this tomorrow.

Many dogs will hold their head down when they are in pain so go ahead an see the vet first thing tomorrow.

Let me know if you still have questions.