NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

my puppies front legs look weak and they bend funny could

Customer Question

my puppies front legs look weak and they bend funny...could it be her diet?

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: boxer/ sharpei

Already Tried:
vet ( changed her food, diet).

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
If it is her diet then it will take some time using a better food to help them get back to normal.
However this could be a conformation issue of weak pasterns or a bad wrist joint that causes the puppy to 'knuckle over' ie extend the wrist the wrong way.
However if what you are seeing is a big swollen wrist joint and the foot looks turned out and the leg a little bent its probably the growth plate you are seeing that makes the leg look funny until the dog grows to its full height.
This site for the XXXXX XXXXX shows a good drawing of front faults in dogs including pastern and knuckling over
But if its nutritional time, good food, elimination of parasites, and gentle exercise should resolve it.
Hope this helps you!