Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

How do slim down a fat dog

I have a 3yr old MinPin and she is spade , she is real fat and I want to slim her down , What is the best and healthest way to do this

Optional Information:
Age: 3; Female; Breed: MinPin

Already Tried:
Nothing as of yet

Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 10 years ago.

You need to buy a premium dog food for weight control such as Iams or Science Diet W/C and this will help to slim her down some. Also since she has been spayed this can cause weight gain as well so you need to promote frequent exercise as much as you can and limit her meals to two a day and not leave food out all the time for her to eat on. She needs to be on a regular feeding schedule and these things will help to start getting her weight under control. Don't expect changes overnight but over the next few weeks you will start to see a change in her weight as long as you use a weight control formula dog food. Even Purina has an indoor and weight control formula dog food so one of these would be your best bet.