Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

one of my puppies only has one eye opened at wks old is

Customer Question

one of my puppies only has one eye opened at 2 1/2 wks old. Is there something wrong?

Optional Information:
Female; Breed: pomeranian

Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

No. This is pretty normal. They all develop at a different rate. If you don't start to see some visual perception in that eye soon, you should go ahead and see the vet to rule out a problem.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I'm concerned that there is no eye because of the apperearance
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.
What does it look like? Have you opened it to look inside?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
No. I'm afraid to mess with it but all of the other pups have both eyes open since Monday.
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
No this is not normal. I'd suspect an infection or a lack of an actual eye (a birth defect).
What can happen with pups is another pup gets a nail into the eye area and the eye develops an infection under the lid.
Any eye not open by 2 weeks would be suspicious to me and if the rest of the litter and the other eye is open I'd worry about infection or congenital defect. 10-14 days is when eyes should open.
If this is a merle colored pup then lack of eye is a possibility.
Try using a warm wet compress on the shut eye. See if you can get it open that way.
If it appears there is infection under the lid see a vet. If you can't see a vet clean the eye with warm milk as the acid in the milk will often relieve eye infections if they are mild enough and can be good first aid for a pup with an infection. Its something I learned years ago and has helped several of my pups get past the toenail in the eye type infection.
Hope this helps you!