Joni
Joni, Certified Vet Tech-Canine Specialty
Experience:  20+ years as dog specialist at vet clinic (all aspects)- raise Great Danes
263661

my dog is losing weight and clumps of hair on his hind ...

my dog is losing weight and clumps of hair on his hind quarters. he also has a lump under his front arm pit. and wines when he sits. he is a german rottie. and fights the vet other wise great nature. but the vets dont want to see him.

Optional Information:
Age: 6; Male; Breed: rottwieler

Already Tried:
pain med

It sounds like he may have a couple of things going on. My main concern is the lump under his arm pit - this could be an inflamed lymph node and may be the start of something like cancer. Therefore he really needs to be seen soon to have it diagnosed. Ask your vet to prescribe a tranquilizer- something like Acepromazine-that you can give him at home before you bring him to see them. It will make everyone happier and more comfortable.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
my vet already gave him ace. when he gets there he goes from half way out to fully awake. he is scared to death of any strange objects. like needles he over rides the ace. you said several things could be going on such as? like loosing clumps of hair?
It could be a thyroid problem, allergies,tumor related,etc. Without seeing it and doing blood work it is hard to say. Have you tried Melatonin to help calm him?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
why is he loosing clumps of hair? and is all this related to the first problem
It could be related. I am leaving this as an info. request in case another expert feels they can offer you something different than what I already have.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
no we have not tried melatonin. the vet just prescibes things without seeing him becouse he is so hard to handle there. becouse he is in pain she has him on deramaxx and before that it was novox and before that rimadyl the first two made him sick. he was 140lbs two months ago. we cut down on treats to help him loose wieght and since then he lost aprox 25lbs in two months we are very worried that something is very wrong but can get no help.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
im not sure what questions you have recieved and havent

I feel you should get a different vet to look at your dog. Is this one a man or woman? Whichever it is get the opposite sex for starters. Call around and ask when you call if they are willing to handle a hard to handle dog. Some vets are more willing to do this than others. Read this link about the Melatonin as it is OTC and it may very well help to calm him some. I feel he may have a serious problem- like possibly cancer-and needs to be seen so you'll know what to expect in the near future if it is. I also would hate for it to be something simple that may be easily cured nd you be expecting the worse. Here is the link- I use it in my dogs for thunder phobia.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Joni's Post: joni did you get the list of meds? we are very fearfull of loosing a member of our family. not sure how to proceed. since the vets dont want to see him. any sugestions.I understand you cam
nt give a diagnosis without see and blood work.how do you deal with unruley dogs that ace wont work on.we have the money to do what is neccesary to maintain his health but what do you do if vets wont see him. we cant let him keep getting put on meds with out getting seen. thanks mike