Angelia
Angelia, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Have been licensed for 9 years and currently work in a busy, 7 vet hospital
411742

My dogs eyes are red in the white part of her eyes.

My dog's eyes are red in the white part of her eyes. What does this mean?

Optional Information:
Age: 9; Female

Already Tried:
nothing

Category: Dog
Expert:  Angelia replied 11 years ago.
Red eyes are usually an indication of an irritant. Much like humans, they can be sensitive to things in the environment causing allergy symptoms.
Is she sneezing? Pawing at her face? Rubbing it along the carpet or sofa?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
She doesn't even act as if her eyes are bothering her. She is not rubbing, pawing, or even tearing. I just happen to notice it when I was petting her. I checked and her eyes dialate when a light is shined into them. If it weren't for the redness there is no indication that her eyes are bothering her.
Expert:  Angelia replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like you don't have much to worry about right now. She may have just had a very mild allergic reaction to something (there are too many factors to list ie: food, dust, grass, etc) in her environment.
If you have some sterile saline (contact lense wearers have this to wash their lenses) you can gently flush her eyes to rid them of any dust or irritant she may have. You could even use bottled water if you don't have saline. Just make sure it is not cold.
Keep an eye on it for the weekend.
If it continues, or she begins to seem painful around her eyes, or begins to tear, or paw at her face, you should see her vet about it.
I hope this answered your concerns.