NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog has a runny nose, is sniffing, sneezing and ...

my dog has a runny nose, is sniffing, sneezing and sometimes coughing/weezing? is it kennel cough?

Optional Information:
Age: 9; Male; Breed: mutt- pug/mix?

Already Tried:
he's been like this for 3 days or so... haven't tried anything yet. would like to avoid prescip. meds, if poss.

It does sound like kennel cough and you can check what you see against symptoms listed here
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html
however if your pet seems really ill this could also be the new dog flu which you can read about here
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_influenza.html
If you think the dog just has kennel cough you might want to try using some Robitussin Dm to help it (no cold combo meds just the plain stuff)
http://www.petplace.com/article.aspx?id=1582
But if it might be the flu supportive care from your vet might be a good idea.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
is it normal to have lots of sneezing and runny nose with kennel cough? or is it usually just the hacking cough? his is more of a weezing/breathing issue...
I've seen dogs both ways - lots of coughing or lots of sneezing. Its an upper respiratory infection.
Alternatively if he is not coughing he could have nose mites, nasal infection with bacteria or fungus or a foreign object up the nose. For any of those you need to see the vet for treatment.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
some friends just got a puppy from a shelter and the puppy and their other dog and my dog are all sick. is it likely to be any of these different things, or would you guess kennel cough based on the circumstances? should i be more concerned because my dog is 9 yrs old?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
how long should i wait it out before taking him in? are there any risks to waiting and watching, hoping it will go away on it's own?
Oh yes its likely its all the same thing as its as contagious as a common cold is with us humans.
Yes older and young dogs both are apt to find any illness more of an impact.
If your dog seems really draggy and sick I'd see the vet for antibiotics.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
You are the only one who can see him so you have to decide if he is really off from his norm or generally OK but a little sick.
If he starts seeming lethargic, not eating, not drinking,not interested in much I'd get him to the vet but if he seems OK except for annoying sneezing its less of a worry.
I often err on the side of caution with my dogs figuring better to have the vet check them and say they are fine or give them antibiotics than to have a middle of the night really sick dog emergency vet trip.