Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 yrs small animal veterinarian

my nursing dog has a hard lump in one teat. is this normal

Customer Question

my lab had 12 pups 9 days ago. 2 have since died and another may expire any time. the rest are above average size and healthy. she seems to have enough milk, but upon closer inspection one of her teats has a hard knot in it about the size of a small childs fist. i pressed on it and she was not in much discomfort untill i tried to see if any milk was comming from this one teat. she is not running a fever and is about as active as before whelping. should i be alarmed.

Optional Information:
Age: 3; Female; Breed: lab/mix

Already Tried:

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 10 years ago.
It is not unusual for a nursing dog to develop mastitis (or an infection in the mammary gland). However, you should take her in to the vet. Your vet should be able to tell you if it is infected by looking at the milk under the microscope. If there is infection, he/she will see a lot of white blood cells (what make up pus). If she does have mastitis, she will need to be on antibiotics to help resolve it.