Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

My dog has a bug attached to her skin. It ooks like a piece ...

Customer Question

My dog has a bug attached to her skin. It ooks like a piece of corn with lege on the end that was attached to her skin. She has been in corn fields and woods the past few weeks and this is the second bug i have found on her. Please helpme!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 11 years ago.
It sounds as though she may have ticks on her, which can look like a piece of corn. You need to use tweezers or a tick removal deviceto pull the tick off, wear gloves as diseases can be transmitted. Grab the tick as close to the head as possible and with gentle pressure pull the tick out of the skin. If the head of the tick remains in the skin try to grab it and remove as much as possible. If any remains her immune system will try to dislodge the by creating a site of infection but will usually resolve itself so don't worry. I do suggest that you give a monthly flea and tick medication such as Frontline since she frequents areas like corn fields and woods to help better protect her from any diseases or illnesses.