Angelia, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Have been licensed for 9 years and currently work in a busy, 7 vet hospital

my dogs nail has grown into her paw pad do i have to go see ...

Customer Question

my dogs nail has grown into her paw pad do i have to go see the vet to clear this up or can i fix her nail myself

Optional Information:
Age: >12; Female; Breed: dog

Already Tried:
nothing i just noticed it

Category: Dog
Expert:  Angelia replied 10 years ago.
It depends on how far the nail has grown into the pad. If it has penetrated through the pad then I suggest seeing a vet because it will be painful for your pet when the nail is cut. the vet may want to sedate her to do this. there also may be a bandage applied but usually they do ok without the bandage.
If you can still see the tip of the nail, then you can cut it yourself but you will want to have some "qwik stop" (styptic powder)ready to stop the bleeding from the nail if there is any. You can try flour or conrnstarch but I have had no luck with it myself. As nails grow, their quicks (blood vessel in the nails) will grow along with it. This too will be painful so if you are not comfortable with this, then the vet would be your best option.
hope this answered your question. if not, please ask more.